Dreams, and Other Places – New paintings by Charlotte Evans
Opening Reception to be held Sunday, September 9th, 2012, from 6-9 pm.
Newly arrived in New York from London, Charlotte Evans, in this unfamiliar environment, turned for images to places once visited, known and remembered. After almost a year here, though, the known is now being combined with the not yet known, prompting fresh ideas, fresh imaginings…
Where once she would paint people and places just seen – China, Vietnam, Canada, Brazil, Italy, home in England – now, something subtly different informs her work.
Her process has changed too. Each image is envisioned, layers of things are remembered (imagined and real), rapidly noted down and drawn again and again to be eventually developed into small paintings or gouaches. Colour has always been an important part of the narrative, but drawing has become more important than ever before.
Dreams, and Other Places is, (are) a synthesis of all this, memory and imagination too. We all dream of somewhere other, somewhere that exists only in the mind’s eye, where emotions are heightened – happiness, melancholy, yearning…. These are the best places of all.
An Opening Reception for Dreams, and Other Places will be held Sunday, September 9th, 2012, from 6pm-9pm, and the work will be on display until October 7th, 2012.
Wayfarers is a studio program and exhibition space dedicated to creating a community of makers who will champion each other, but also hold each others’ feet to the fire. We host solo exhibitions, critiques, drawing parties, group shows, live music, experimental performances, puppetry events, readings, workshops, video screenings and other inventive events. These events are usually open to the public, almost always cheap or free and designed with the same championing/feet scorching spirit in mind.
Wayfarers is located at 1109 Dekalb Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11221 and is open Saturdays and Sundays, 12–6 pm, or by appointment. Tour groups are welcome.
- Watermelon Keg For The Perfect Summer Party Experience! - May 2, 2016
- Perfect Brunch Wines for Your Easter Weekend - March 23, 2016
- Easy Appetizers: Spicy Queso Fundido Recipe - February 2, 2016
- Alternatives to Tempurpedic: Leesa Mattress Review - January 22, 2016
- Getting Healthy Series: A Green Juice Recipe You’ll Actually Drink - January 12, 2016
- 10 Ways to Use Coconut Oil For Skin Care - December 8, 2015
- Crispy Coconut Chicken Fingers Recipe Even Your Kids Will Love - December 8, 2015
- The Best Gingerbread Cookie Recipe You’ll Ever Make - December 4, 2015
- The Perfect Cherry Vanilla Cheesecake - November 24, 2015
- Editor’s Picks: Sustainable Wines for Fall Entertaining - September 21, 2015