Junior Merino is arguably the best known mixologist on the planet. His celebrity clientele includes Justin Timberlake, Oprah Winfrey, Lenny Kravitz, Bill Clinton, Barak Obama, Michael Bloomberg, Peter Gabriel, Cindy Lauper and Michael J. Fox, just to name a few! Master Mixologist Junior Merino – The Liquid Chef has built his career on fusing exotic, unexpected flavors: He grew up in a culinary melting-pot of cultures and traditions. Beginning when Junior was just 10, his food-loving parents taught him to cook with local produce ranging from indigenous cocoa beans, to pomegranates native to the Middle East, to cilantro, which has Mediterranean roots. Despite all these foods’ varied origins, Junior saw that in combination, they created harmony-planting in him an early passion for culinary mestizaje– or blending diverse flavors. It’s a technique that’s helped Junior rise quickly in his field along with his intense work ethic.
Junior has successfully implemented commercial programs in multiple venues, including Disney theme parks (Epcot Center), cruise ships (Celebrity Cruises) and international airlines (Mexicana Airline). He has created signature cocktails for dozens of leading restaurants and bars across the world, such as the Modern (NYC – Danny Meyers), the Ritz Carlton (42 Restaurant in White Plains, NY), the ANA Hotel (Tokyo), and a branch of Mexico City’s famed Izote restaurant, Merkato55 (NYC – Marcus Samuelsson).
This holiday, Junior is bringing the luck o’ the Irish to life with his unique St. Patrick’s Day cocktails. Forget about your usual Baileys, and let the green beer rest in your college memories. The Liquid Chef is bringing you fresh cocktails that will make your taste buds feel like they found the gold at the end of the rainbow. After all, who says you can’t class-up a pub night?
With avocado and lime flavors, this cocktail is a distinct, fresh option for your St. Patrick’s Day festivities, and the hint of green has just enough
- 1 1/2 oz Mezcal Blanco
- 3/4 Agwa Coca Leaf Liqueur (or Midori)
- 1/2 oz Cointreau
- 1 1/2 oz Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 oz Agave
- 1/4 Avocado
- 1 – 1 1/2 Cups Ice
- Dainzu Cactus Lemongrass salt
Put all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a tall glass rimmed with Junior Merino’s Dainzu Dehydrated Cactus- Lemongrass Salt. Garnish with a sprig of basil.
This gin-based treat is as good as its name. Served with gooseberry ‘coins’, its too unique to pass up! Indulge yourself in a pot of gold that will leave your mouth watering.
- 1 ½ oz 5cl Gin
- ¾ oz 2.5cl ¾ part Midori
- 2 basil leaves
- ¾ oz 2.5cl ¾ part lime juice
- ¼ oz 0.5cl ¼ part simple syrup
- ½ oz 1.5cl ½ part pineapple juice
- Gooseberry ‘coins’ (sliced gooseberries)
Pour all the ingredients in a shaker, add ice, shake and pour into a tall glass. Garnish with gooseberry coins and a basil leaf.
- Earth Day Gift Guide: 10 Ways to Reduce Your Carbon Footprint - April 21, 2016
- Earth Month Recipe: Hand Made Green Ravioli - April 21, 2016
- Food and Wine: Roy Yamaguchi’s Pacific Inspired Wine Pairing Dinner April 20th - April 18, 2016
- A Spicy Shrimp Ravioli Recipe by Food Network Chef Eric Levine - April 13, 2016
- Shake It Up: 5 Easy Beer Cocktails for National Beer Day - April 6, 2016
- 10 Earth Friendly Cleaning Tips for a Green Home - March 26, 2016
- From Bunnies to Peeps, Chicks, and Chocolate Eggs: Our Top 5 Easter Treats for Spring - March 24, 2016
- Easy Chocolate Cake Recipe With Nutella Frosting - March 23, 2016
- 7 Things You Can Do This Week to Become a Fat-Burning Machine - March 21, 2016
- Stuffed Turkey Meatloaf With Greens and Mozzarella - March 14, 2016