The Embee Sunshade Co., located on Metropolitan Ave near Graham Ave, is one of Williamsburgh’s last surviving factories. If you’ve ever walked past this neighborhood institution, you may have noticed the seemingly random, white plastic letters askew over their entrance, which read “EM EE UNSH.”
The missing letters fell off years ago. Regardless, the factory has continued to handcraft high-quality umbrellas at their factory, without fail, since 1940. Their products have become part of the iconic landscape of New York City, providing shade over hot dog carts, lifeguard stands, and NYC Parks Department kiosks.
The City Reliquary Museum, a neighbor nearby on Metropolitan Ave and Havemeyer St, is proud to host an exhibition about their 79-year business history. The show will include Embee promotional materials, parts and materials from the factory, photography by local artist Theo Coulombe of Brooklyn photo Studio, and a backyard filled with dozens of Embee Sunshades. The display will be on view from August 4th through October 28th, 2012.
The opening reception on Saturday August 4th from 5:00 – 9:00 pm will be hosted by the City Reliquary Museum located at 370 Metropolitan Avenue. Refreshments will be provided, including beer generously sponsored by another great Williamsburgh factory, the Brooklyn Brewery.
Transportation for this exhibit is generously provided by Boxart Inc. Fine Art Services.
Located at 370 Metropolitan Avenue in Williamsburgh, Brooklyn, The City Reliquary Museum & Civic Organization provides a wide array of services to the community. As a certified 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization, we are committed to serving the people of New York City – natives, newcomers, and passersby. Originally established as a window-front display only museum in 2002 at the corner of Grand and Havemeyer Sts, it moved into its present location in 2006 and is committed to plan and host public events, which provide neighbors and visitors with a place to meet, exchange ideas, and celebrate the diversity of our community.
The City Reliquary’s hours are: Thursday through Sunday: 12pm – 6pm. Admission to the museum is $5 suggested donation. For general information, please visit the Museum’s website www.cityreliquary.org or call 718. R U CIVIC.
Photo credit: Flickr
- Ruth’s Chris’ Creamed Spinach in Bechamel Sauce - November 23, 2015
- How to Choose the Best Red Wines to Go With Thanksgiving and Holiday Dinners - November 22, 2015
- Farmer’s Market Vegetable Quiche Recipe from 2 Sparrows - November 5, 2015
- Celebrate Spanish Wines with Sherry Week - November 1, 2015
- Here Comes Fall: Sonoma Cider Debuts Two New Flavors - October 30, 2015
- How to Make a Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie - October 30, 2015
- Chef Recipes: Winter Pumpkin Soup - October 29, 2015
- Disney’s Swan and Dolphin Food & Wine Classic Returns for 6th Year - October 8, 2015
- Celebrate Wines of the World: Ruth’s Chris’ 90+ Points Wine Dinner - October 8, 2015
- 5 Pumpkin Cocktail Recipes for Fall - October 6, 2015