The Embee Sunshade Co., located on Metropolitan Ave near Graham Ave, is one of Williamsburgh’s last surviving factories. If you’ve ever walked past this neighborhood institution, you may have noticed the seemingly random, white plastic letters askew over their entrance, which read “EM EE UNSH.”
The missing letters fell off years ago. Regardless, the factory has continued to handcraft high-quality umbrellas at their factory, without fail, since 1940. Their products have become part of the iconic landscape of New York City, providing shade over hot dog carts, lifeguard stands, and NYC Parks Department kiosks.
The City Reliquary Museum, a neighbor nearby on Metropolitan Ave and Havemeyer St, is proud to host an exhibition about their 79-year business history. The show will include Embee promotional materials, parts and materials from the factory, photography by local artist Theo Coulombe of Brooklyn photo Studio, and a backyard filled with dozens of Embee Sunshades. The display will be on view from August 4th through October 28th, 2012.
The opening reception on Saturday August 4th from 5:00 – 9:00 pm will be hosted by the City Reliquary Museum located at 370 Metropolitan Avenue. Refreshments will be provided, including beer generously sponsored by another great Williamsburgh factory, the Brooklyn Brewery.
Transportation for this exhibit is generously provided by Boxart Inc. Fine Art Services.
Located at 370 Metropolitan Avenue in Williamsburgh, Brooklyn, The City Reliquary Museum & Civic Organization provides a wide array of services to the community. As a certified 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization, we are committed to serving the people of New York City – natives, newcomers, and passersby. Originally established as a window-front display only museum in 2002 at the corner of Grand and Havemeyer Sts, it moved into its present location in 2006 and is committed to plan and host public events, which provide neighbors and visitors with a place to meet, exchange ideas, and celebrate the diversity of our community.
The City Reliquary’s hours are: Thursday through Sunday: 12pm – 6pm. Admission to the museum is $5 suggested donation. For general information, please visit the Museum’s website www.cityreliquary.org or call 718. R U CIVIC.
Photo credit: Flickr
- It’s Pool Season: Miami Cocktails Launches New RTD Line For Summer - May 18, 2016
- Getting Healthy: Blueberry Almond Smoothie - May 12, 2016
- Sweet and Spicy – Margarita Pairing for Cinco De Mayo - May 2, 2016
- Mexican Sopes Recipe – Fried Corn Cakes - May 2, 2016
- Chef Barret Beyer’s Tequila Flamed Tiger Shrimp Bruschetta - April 29, 2016
- Earth Day Gift Guide: 10 Ways to Reduce Your Carbon Footprint - April 21, 2016
- Earth Month Recipe: Hand Made Green Ravioli - April 21, 2016
- Food and Wine: Roy Yamaguchi’s Pacific Inspired Wine Pairing Dinner April 20th - April 18, 2016
- A Spicy Shrimp Ravioli Recipe by Food Network Chef Eric Levine - April 13, 2016
- Shake It Up: 5 Easy Beer Cocktails for National Beer Day - April 6, 2016