Three Meadow Spirits recently released a unique, 5-times distilled vodka, developed from a recipe infused with an array of botanicals. Not to be confused with a ‘flavored’ vodka, Peony Vodka’s floral notes result in a spirit that most somewhat resembles the profile of a gin, but lacks the sharp juniper taste associated with gins. Peony is a vodka with a unique character that compliments classic cocktails while lending itself to experimentation.
Created by Three Meadow Spirits founder Leslie Farhangi, the brand was developed with inspiration taken from the uncomplicated ‘country-living’ lifestyle found in Dutchess County, located one hundred miles north of New York City. Home to Farhangi, the 170-acre horse farm also has an abundance of lush Peony flowers, which lead to the brand’s name.
Peony Vodka Development
After a year of experimentation, numerous focus groups and countless taste tests, Farhangi and her team settled on a recipe that consists of, Geranium, Vanilla, Jasmine, White Pepper, Gardenia, Peony among other botanicals.
The blend makes for a true vodka that is can be enjoyed chilled, on the rocks or with a wide range of cocktail ingredients including those featured in Peony’s signature drinks: fresh lemon, chilies, pear, thyme, pomegranate, ginger, watermelon and even beer or chocolate almond milk.
Although the liquor business has long been a bastion of male ownership and management, Peony vodka has an all woman management team and 80% of the founding investors are also self-made women.
“Our team put great effort into developing Peony Vodka. In addition to the recipe, which has steadily been winning a diverse fan base, we also expressed the brand and our lifestyle through the bottle design. It reflects who we are, what we love, and what we sense others are drawn to,” said Farhangi.
The bespoke bottle design, created by Alexander Isley, further conveys the brands beauty and elegant character. A single eye-catching peony flower adorns the front label while the reverse features one of three unique artistic works. Each a part of a triptych commissioned from internationally renowned illustrator Romy Blümel, the three different scenes evokes Hudson Valley country life: a summertime farmyard; a garden frolic; and an amble across the rolling landscape.
The bottle’s neck features whimsical ‘words to live by,’ which further conveys the brand’s character. They include:
- If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun
- Celebrate the enjoyment of others
- Cultivate kindness
- Honey, you’re fabulous
- Stop and smell the peonies
- There’s no good reason to act your age
- Go barefoot often
- Be gentle with yourself
- A beautiful thing is never perfect
- Sooner or later we all quote our mothers
- Better to be ridiculous than boring
- Life is short, buy the lipstick
“We were all looking to be part of a new product with superior quality that had great appeal among our like-minded friends, while not taking ourselves too seriously, remembering to have fun in the process,” said investor Catherine Fenn.
With summer in mind, Peony Vodka is popping up on discerning cocktail menus throughout NYC and Brooklyn; Aurora Soho, August Laura in Carroll Gardens, and Gentilly Kitchen + Bar to name a few. Also, Through strategic support of organizations like the New York Ballet and the New York Botanical Gardens, where Peony cocktails were served, the brand is steadily becoming the go-to spirit of those that embrace the fresh approach to living life simply.
Peony Vodka is 35% ABV, 70 proof, MSRP $32-$34
- 2 oz. Peony Vodka
- 1 oz. fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
- 3/4 oz. fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 oz. St. Germain liqueur
Muddle jam with vodka until jam is dissolved, then shake all ingredients with ice and pour into a martini glass. Can be topped with a splash of club soda. Garnish with a fuschia flower.
- Game Changing Recipes For The Perfect Super Bowl Party - January 14, 2017
- Chicken Stroganoff Recipe with Chanterelles & Vanilla - January 10, 2017
- Handcrafted Soltado Tequila Debuts at Luxury Supercar Charity Weekend - December 5, 2016
- Botanically Rich Peony Vodka Launches in New York Markets - August 29, 2016
- Toast Vodka Made From Natural Coconut Water Launches In Miami Florida - August 29, 2016
- Celebrate National Rum Day With Fresh Coffee Infused Cocktails - August 15, 2016
- If You Love Whiskey, and You Love Beef, Meet Your New Favorite Snack - August 15, 2016
- National Rum Day Recipes That Make Every Day ‘Tiki’ - August 11, 2016
- Homemade Hummus Pizza with Arugula and Wild Mushrooms - June 28, 2016
- Grilled Garlic and Summer Squash Skewers with Chimichurri - June 28, 2016