Just in the nick of time, Whole Foods Market offers its Top 10 Holiday Wines that will knock your stockings off the chimney. It’s going to be a jolly season for a lot less jingle with prices that will surely to make your eyes twinkle. These crowd-pleasers, all priced under $16, are terrific stocking stuffers and host(ess) gifts as well as perfect pairings for holiday dinners.
During November and December, Whole Foods Market offers these great-priced holiday wines, many of which are special finds from around the world that will impress even the most discerning wine enthusiast on your list.
“When it comes to pairing wines with holiday foods, there are no hard and fast rules,” said Doug Bell, national wine buyer for Whole Foods Market. “What’s important is to serve wines you enjoy! With our holiday wines, we’ve made sure there is a match for everyone — whether you like a Chablis-style white, a robust California cab, or an inky malbec to serve at your holiday feast or party, you can find it at Whole Foods Market at prices that can’t be beat.”
To learn more about these and other holiday sparklers, crisp whites and juicy reds, Whole Foods Market is hosting two Twitter Tastings (via #WFMWine) from 7-8 p.m. CT:
- Nov. 8 – The Perfect Pairings for Holiday Foods
- Dec. 6 – Go-to Gifting Wines
For the first time, Whole Foods Market will co-host the Twitter Tastings with wine expert, Leslie Sbrocco of Thirsty Girl (a community of women who have a passion for wine).
Add sparkle to your holiday table or party with any of these value-priced wines from Whole Foods Market:
La Piuma Pecorino (Italy) – a snappy, balanced white made from the pecorino grape, this lean, crisp and racy white has a citrusy nose with tropical fruits and mineral notes.
- Recipe Pairing: Seared Scallops with Broccoli Rabe and White Beans
- Cheese Pairing: Robusto, a sharp, aged Gouda-style cheese from Holland with rich nuttiness
Ferrari Carano Fumé Blanc (California) – with an intense aroma of tropical fruits, this Sonoma white also has ripe melon, guava and lemon zest notes. A medium-full bodied white with humming acidity, this wine offers a crisp finish.
- Recipe Pairing: Hot Crab and Artichoke Dip
- Cheese Pairing: Vermont Butter and Cheese Creamery Cremont, a double cream, wrinkled rind from Vermont
Domaine de Bernier Chardonnay (France) – this delicate, yet complex French chardonnay from the Loire Valley has apple, pear and tropical fruit notes with tingly acidity.
- Recipe Pairing: Pork Tenderloin with Apple and Rye Stuffing
- Cheese Pairing: Mahón, a Spanish raw cow’s milk cheese
Rex Goliath Pinot Noir (California) – offered in a two-bottle pack, this popular, easy-drinking red has delicate cherry and pomegranate flavors, with notes of plums and spice.
- Recipe Pairing: Harvest Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Cheese Pairing: Vermont Butter and Cheese Creamery Bijou, a soft and buttery goat’s milk cheese with a gentle tang
Marques de la Musa Garnacha (Spain) – this food-friendly, easy-sipping red from Cariñena offers peppery plum, red currant and leather flavors with a soft finish.
- Recipe Pairing: Roasted Turkey with Sage Butter
- Cheese Pairing: Seaside Cheddar, a classic-aged English cheddar with sweet flavor and characteristic crunch
Frey Vineyards Organic Agriculturist Red (California) – this blend of carignan, zinfandel and syrah has flavors of red and blue fruits, blackberries and green pepper with a rustic and robust finish.
- Recipe Pairing: Stuffed Cornish Game Hens
- Cheese Pairing: Parrano, an aged Italian favorite known for its nutty flavor and slight saltiness
Innovac!ón Shiraz Cabernet Sauvignon (Argentina) – made with sustainably-farmed grapes, this medium-full bodied red has plum and white pepper notes with good acidity on the finish. Great value in a 1-liter bottle.
- Recipe Pairing: Spice-Rubbed Beef Short Ribs
- Cheese Pairing: Manchego, a traditional Spanish, sheep’s milk cheese with a touch of sweetness
H&G Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon (California) – this limited-release ruby red wine offers cherry, plum and spice flavors and is full and lush on the palate. A very special gift wine with a complex finish.
- Recipe Pairing: Roasted Beef Tenderloin
- Cheese Pairing: Fourme d’Ambert, a gentle, dense blue cheese
Maggio Family Vineyards Petite Sirah (California) – from a winery of five generations of family growers with a commitment to sustainable agriculture, this Paso Robles racy red offers black cherry and vanilla flavors with a velvety finish.
- Recipe Pairing: Beef and Bean Chili
- Cheese Pairing: Wellspring Creamery Cranberry Orange Goat, a creamy goat cheese that is pleasantly sweet
Georges Dubœuf Malbec (France) – a malbec that drinks like a pricier Bordeaux, this is a superb gift wine with aging potential. With black currant and hard candy flavors, this elegant yet powerful red lingers on the palate.
- Recipe Pairing: Leg of Lamb with Rosemary and Garlic
- Cheese Pairing: Drunken Goat, a Spanish goat cheese with milky creaminess that’s cured in red wine
Jam Jar Sweet Shiraz (South Africa) – made from sustainably farmed grapes, this sweet red has aromas of spice, leather and cigar box with dense blackberry and spice notes.
- Recipe Pairing: Mincemeat Cookies
- Cheese Pairing: Le Gruyère Reserve, a Swiss cheese with complex nuttiness
Cinzano Asti (Italy) – a playful, nostalgic bubbly from Italy’s most famous sparkling wine region, this sparkler shines with peach and apricot flavors. This wine is best served ice cold on its own or with dessert.
- Recipe Pairing: Orange Hazelnut Trifle
- Cheese Pairing: Robiola Bosina, a silky and slightly sweet Italian treasure made with both cow’s and sheep’s milk
For more information on these holiday wines and Twitter Tastings, please visit wholefoodsmarket.com/wine.