Sweet sorghum is an under-appreciated sweetener with long-steeped roots in Kentucky culture. From the colonial days, the amber-colored delights of the natural juice extract from the sorghum cane have enhanced culinary dishes from pork chops to pecan pies.
With it’s rich heritage and subtle flavor, sweet sorghum is an ideal mate for fine chocolate and aged Kentucky bourbon.
To discover the true tastes of the south, whip up a batch of sweet sorghum and bourbon brownies for a memorable Kentucky Derby day treat.
Sweet Sorghum and Bourbon Brownies
1/2 cup of Butter
1/2 cup of Dark Brown Sugar
1/4 cup of Sweet Sorghum Syrup
4 tablespoons of Bourbon
3/4 cup of Flour
1/2 teaspoon of Salt
1/2 teaspoon of Baking Powder
2 ounces of Unsweetened Chocolate
Preheat oven to 390 degees.
In a small sauce pan (or double boiler) melt chocolate and butter over a low heat. Stir frequently until fully melted and mixed. Remove from heat.
Grease a 8×8-inch or 9×9-inch baking pan. Set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, add sweet sorghum, egg, and dark brown sugar. Whisk until completely mixed.
Add bourbon, mix thoroughly.
Add melted chocolate and mix in thoroughly.
Add flour mix, blend gently until full incorporated into mix.
Spread batter evenly into pre-greased baking pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes (test with wooden toothpick, when inserted near the center, the toothpick should come out clean.)
Cool for 1-2 hours on a wire rack. Cut, serve, enjoy!
- Holiday Spiced Mulled Red Wine Recipe - January 2, 2016
- Living Green: 5 Ideas for Winter Gardening - December 15, 2015
- Editor’s Picks: Stocking Stuffers for Coffee Lovers - December 3, 2015
- The Best Gifts For Your Favorite Holiday Hostess! - November 17, 2015
- Quick and Easy Gluten Free Dark Chocolate Covered Vodka Strawberries - February 12, 2015
- 6 Gift Worthy Coffees You Need to Try This Holiday Season – 2014 Edition - November 25, 2014
- Editor’s Picks: Annual Coffee Lovers Holiday Gift Guide – 2014 - November 24, 2014
- Quik Pik Me Up Coffee Cocktail - November 19, 2014
- Downtown Chicago Date Night at Sullivan’s Steakhouse - November 16, 2014
- 5 Freedom Moonshine Cocktail Recipes to Heat Up your Holiday Season - November 15, 2014