If you haven’t figured it out yet, our staff is rather divided when it comes to game day delights.
Some of us prefer to live the carnivorous life, devouring every bit of beef and chicken (wing) in our path, and the rest of us want to eat something delicious, but (still) a bit more figure conscious. As a compromise, we turn to the mighty mushroom!
High in calcium and Vitamin D, mushrooms provide many of the nutritional attributes of produce and other fresh vegetables, as well as attributes more commonly found in meat, beans or grains. Mushrooms are low in calories, fat-free, cholesterol-free and very low in sodium, yet they provide several nutrients that are typically found in animal foods or grains.
This game day burgers recipe satisfies meat and vegetable lovers with it’s thick, juicy grilled flavor, and savory sweetness from the balsamic vinegar in this recipe.
Mini Portobello Mushroom Sliders
1 Serving: 2 mini burgers
Preparation Time: 35 minutes
Cooking Time: 8 minutes
- 2 Portabella mushrooms, stem removed
- 1/4 cup light balsamic vinaigrette
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 small high-fiber whole grain dinner rolls
- 8 slices red onion
- 8 slices tomato
Place portobellos and vinaigrette in a large zip top bag. Zip and lightly rub the vinaigrette into the mushrooms. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Take out mushrooms from bag, drain and season both sides with salt and pepper. Heat a grill or grill pan over medium heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Place the mushrooms on the grill gill side down and cook for 4 minutes. Turn and continue to grill until mushroom is almost cooked through, about 4 more minutes.
Remove from pan and drain mushrooms on paper towel, gill side down. Cut each mushroom into quarters and place on buns. Top with onion and tomato and serve.
Recipe Courtesy of the Mushroom Council and mushroominfo.com
- How to Drink $1200: The Billionaire Margarita - February 21, 2017
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Margarita Recipe: Pairing Chocolate with Tequila - February 20, 2017
- Game Day Burgers: Vegetarian Portobello Mini Sliders - January 16, 2017
- Getting Healthy: Top 5 Ways To Use Kombucha for Stress Relief - January 11, 2017
- How to Cook Octopus: Local 92’s Spanish Octopus With Spaghetti Squash and Leek Emulsion - January 11, 2017
- 7 Anti-Aging Secrets for the Perfect Party Face - January 10, 2017
- Wine 101: How to Choose Riesling Wines for Food Pairing - January 9, 2017
- Kid Friendly Coconut Eggnog Recipe (And One For Adults) - December 20, 2016
- Holiday Gift Guide: Crave Local’s Best Wines of The Year - December 19, 2016
- 5 Pumpkin Cocktail Recipes To Enjoy All Winter Long - December 14, 2016