Inspired by Tyler Florence’s Food 911 Episode, Viva Venezuela, this super fast, super delicious black bean soup is good for you, and incredibly tasty. We made it in a pressure cooker, but you can use a Dutch oven or large pot-it will simply take a bit longer.
Serve with sourdough garlic bread, and garnish with cheese and cilantro.
Black Bean & Spicy Turkey Sausage Soup
- 2 cups (about 1 pound) dried black beans, picked over, and rinsed
- 2-3 links of Spicy turkey sausage (2/3 of a lb)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups of organic vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Shredded low fat cheddar cheese
Rinse the beans and put them into a non-metallic container or bowl. Fill with water, and soak for overnight, or for at least 15 minutes in water with 1/2 tbs lemon juice. (This helps to break down the enzymes in the beans, making them more digestible!) Drain, rinse, and set aside.
In a 6-quart pressure cooker* over medium-high heat, pour in 3 tablespoons oil. Add the sausage and onions and cook until the onions are wilted and the sausage is browned, about 5 minutes.
Toss in the garlic, thyme, and bay leaf and cook for 1 minute more. Add the beans and stir well. Pour in the water and broth together; add the remaining tablespoon of oil, and stir again.
Cover, lock the lid, and bring to high pressure. Lower heat to maintain pressure and start timing. Cook at high pressure for 25 minutes.
Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes. Release the steam, again following the manufacturer’s directions. If the beans are underdone, simmer them with the lid off until tender. Remove bay leaf and thyme stems, and discard. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding salt and pepper as needed.
Note: The soup will be a bit liquid at first. Just let it sit on the stove for a few minutes if you prefer thicker soup. It’s also perfect reheated the next day.
*We used the Sitram Pressure Cooker with Timer for this recipe.
- Does Higher Thread Count Mean Higher Quality Bedding? - December 14, 2016
- The Best Gingerbread Cookie Recipe You’ll Ever Make - December 14, 2016
- Watermelon Keg For The Perfect Summer Party Experience! - May 2, 2016
- Perfect Brunch Wines for Your Easter Weekend - March 23, 2016
- Easy Appetizers: Spicy Queso Fundido Recipe - February 2, 2016
- Alternatives to Tempurpedic: Leesa Mattress Review - January 22, 2016
- Getting Healthy Series: A Green Juice Recipe You’ll Actually Drink - January 12, 2016
- 10 Ways to Use Coconut Oil For Skin Care - December 8, 2015
- Crispy Coconut Chicken Fingers Recipe Even Your Kids Will Love - December 8, 2015
- The Perfect Cherry Vanilla Cheesecake - November 24, 2015