Larry Hyde, one of the most prestigious grape growers in the Napa Valley, called winemaker Gustavo Gonzalez – formerly of Mondavi winery fame – one summer morning in 2009 with an offer for a few bottles of Hyde Vineyard Syrah. As destiny would have it, this phone call came the day Mr. Gonzalez as well as his long time friend, Tom Kaucic, met James T. Dyke, a lover of French Rhone wines. Like two stones being struck to start a fire, these three gentlemen’s conversation generated the spark that flamed into Mira Winery.
We had the rare opportunity to taste the wine that sparked this conversation – a 2009 Mira Winery Hyde Vineyard Syrah from Napa Valley. This incredible wine has, in our opinion, not had enough press, and is well worth it’s $48 price tag. Exhibiting a nose of dark black fruits, ripe blackberries, and mint. Dark purple with serious legs, the palate is round, dry, with bitter earth, spice, tar, chocolate and leather. Mira 2009 Syrah lingers, leaving a pleasant tannic after-taste, and graphite and minerals behind. It reminded us of a very well balanced, high end Australian Shiraz. Not your average Napa syrah, for certain.
We’d like to pair this wine with game, dark leafy greens (dinosaur kale, swiss chard, sauteed spinach), as well as aged cheeses, a rich mushroom quiche, lamb, and roasted duck or pheasant dishes.
2009 Mira Winery Hyde Vineyard Syrah from Napa Valley is 100% Syrah, 100% Hyde Vineyard, 100% Napa Valley. Aged 18 months in 100% French oak barrels, 5% new. Drink now through 2015.
Mira Winery produces Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc from some of the most prestigious vineyards in the Napa Valley. Old world tradition meets new world techniques. For more information, or to join their wine club, go to miranapa.com.
Photo credit: MiraNapa.com
- The Perfect Cherry Vanilla Cheesecake - November 24, 2015
- Editor’s Picks: Sustainable Wines for Fall Entertaining - September 21, 2015
- Utilizing Brand Ambassadors through Mobile Marketing - September 8, 2015
- What To Make With Ripe Mangoes (Recipes) - August 17, 2015
- Paleo Fruit Roll Ups: How to Make Mango Leather - August 17, 2015
- Wine Review: Bodega Garzon 2013 Tannat, Uruguay - August 1, 2015
- How Long Can You Store or Drink a Sherry Wine? - June 21, 2015
- How to Avoid Bottle Shock When Buying Winery Direct - June 18, 2015
- Does Higher Thread Count Mean Higher Quality Bedding? - June 16, 2015
- Crispy Coconut Chicken Fingers Recipe Even Your Kids Will Love - June 8, 2015