In Japan, new food and beverage brands are created with not only the country’s cultural respect and admiration for tradition, but also an artistry in innovation and creativity. Invention is just as revered as tradition, with inspiration coming from nature to technology. Thus is the case with Suntory Toki Whisky, an out-of-the-box blended whisky expression from whisky giant, Beam Global.
Silky and light, with a subtle honey-like sweetness, and spicy finish, this is anything but what you’d expect in a whisky. Although most Japanese whiskys are a single malt, Toki is a blend of both malts and grains: the Hakushu American white oak cask malt whisky – chosen for its unique freshness, mellowness and spectacular green apple notes, the Chita – a heavy-type grain whisky, with stone fruit and vanilla custard notes, and the Yamazaki Spanish oak cask malt whisky, which adds woody and bittersweet notes to the blend. The resulting product is less traditional, and more of a lighter, sweeter taste, and crisp body-a perfect whisky pairing for crème brûlée, or Grandma’s chocolate pecan pie.
Color: Clear pale gold
Nose: grassy herbs, green apple skin, raw honey
Palate: orange zest, cinnamon spice, currants, vanilla bean.
Finish: Crisp and refreshing, with bright fruity notes, white pepper, and caramelized ginger on the finish.
Rating: 91 points, Crave Local
- How to Drink $1200: The Billionaire Margarita - February 21, 2017
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Margarita Recipe: Pairing Chocolate with Tequila - February 20, 2017
- Game Day Burgers: Vegetarian Portobello Mini Sliders - January 16, 2017
- Getting Healthy: Top 5 Ways To Use Kombucha for Stress Relief - January 11, 2017
- How to Cook Octopus: Local 92’s Spanish Octopus With Spaghetti Squash and Leek Emulsion - January 11, 2017
- 7 Anti-Aging Secrets for the Perfect Party Face - January 10, 2017
- Wine 101: How to Choose Riesling Wines for Food Pairing - January 9, 2017
- Kid Friendly Coconut Eggnog Recipe (And One For Adults) - December 20, 2016
- Holiday Gift Guide: Crave Local’s Best Wines of The Year - December 19, 2016
- 5 Pumpkin Cocktail Recipes To Enjoy All Winter Long - December 14, 2016