BOURBON AND BUBBLY
Bourbon with the effervescent touch of sparkling wine is a combination that tickles your mouth as you drink it and can tickle your brain later on. This is a takeoff on the signature cocktail from Louisville’s famed Seelbach Hilton, and it’s wonderful to serve to a crowd. Try this as an apéritif before your Thanksgiving meal. I can almost guarantee no familial fighting.
- 4 OUNCES BOURBON
- 4 TABLESPOONS SUGAR
- 1 TEASPOON ANGOSTURA BITTERS
- ICE CUBES
- EIGHT 2-INCH STRIPS LEMON PEEL (NO PITH)
- ONE 750-MILLILITER BOTTLE VERY COLD, VERY DRY CHAMPAGNE OR SPARKLING WINE
1. Mix the bourbon, sugar, and bitters in a glass measuring cup. Let stand until the sugar begins to dissolve, stirring occasionally. This will take 10 to 15 minutes (you can make this 4 or more hours ahead, if you wish).
2. Add ice cubes to 8 small wine glasses. Twist a piece of lemon peel over each glass, and drop in. Divide the bourbon mixture among the wine glasses, and then fill the glasses with Champagne. Serve immediately.Cocktail Recipe by: Fred Thompson