Lillian Jankelson was a wonderful woman, an interior designer, an inspirational teacher, and a mentor to me when I was first learning about interior design. Lillian taught me about restraint, which is a very difficult thing to teach. Like my father, who had great style, and my mother, who had great taste, Lillian knew when enough was just enough. She said it was instinct.
This steak recipe has the balance that Lillian understood. It’s unique and proves that Porterhouse or T-bone steaks don’t always have to be grilled to be good.
Lillian’s Baked Steak
- 1 2 1⁄2-inch-thick T-bone or Porterhouse steak (about 3 pounds)
- 1 lemon, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced into 1⁄4-inch-thick rings
- 1 large onion, sliced into 1⁄4-inch-thick rings
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Place the steak in a glass baking dish large enough to comfortably hold it. Arrange alternating slices of lemon, bell pepper, and onion over the meat. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup and Worcestershire. Pour the mixture over the meat. Bake until an instant-read thermometer reads 140°F for medium rare, 45 to 55 minutes.
3. To serve the steak, let it rest about 15 minutes before you carve it. Carefully move the lemon, pepper, and onion slices to one side. Slice the meat and garnish with the vegetables.
With permission from Hampton Weekends: Easy Menus for Casual Entertaining All Year Round, by Ellen Wright
- Summer Cocktail Recipe: Lavender Lemon Martini - June 15, 2016
- 7 Summer Cocktail Recipes For Picnics, Barbecue, and Grilling - June 14, 2016
- Editor’s Picks: Father’s Day Gift Guide 2016 - June 10, 2016
- Red, White, and Rosé: 90+ Point Wines To Kick Off Your Summer - May 26, 2016
- It’s Pool Season: Miami Cocktail Company Launches New RTD Line For Summer - May 18, 2016
- Getting Healthy: Blueberry Almond Smoothie - May 12, 2016
- Sweet and Spicy – Margarita Pairing for Cinco De Mayo - May 2, 2016
- Mexican Sopes Recipe – Fried Corn Cakes - May 2, 2016
- Chef Barret Beyer’s Tequila Flamed Tiger Shrimp Bruschetta - April 29, 2016
- Earth Day Gift Guide: 10 Ways to Reduce Your Carbon Footprint - April 21, 2016