Lillian Jankelson was a wonderful woman, an interior designer, an inspirational teacher, and a mentor to me when I was first learning about interior design. Lillian taught me about restraint, which is a very difficult thing to teach. Like my father, who had great style, and my mother, who had great taste, Lillian knew when enough was just enough. She said it was instinct.
This steak recipe has the balance that Lillian understood. It’s unique and proves that Porterhouse or T-bone steaks don’t always have to be grilled to be good.
Lillian’s Baked Steak
- 1 2 1⁄2-inch-thick T-bone or Porterhouse steak (about 3 pounds)
- 1 lemon, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced into 1⁄4-inch-thick rings
- 1 large onion, sliced into 1⁄4-inch-thick rings
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Place the steak in a glass baking dish large enough to comfortably hold it. Arrange alternating slices of lemon, bell pepper, and onion over the meat. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup and Worcestershire. Pour the mixture over the meat. Bake until an instant-read thermometer reads 140°F for medium rare, 45 to 55 minutes.
3. To serve the steak, let it rest about 15 minutes before you carve it. Carefully move the lemon, pepper, and onion slices to one side. Slice the meat and garnish with the vegetables.
With permission from Hampton Weekends: Easy Menus for Casual Entertaining All Year Round, by Ellen Wright
- Earth Day Gift Guide: 10 Ways to Reduce Your Carbon Footprint - April 21, 2016
- Earth Month Recipe: Hand Made Green Ravioli - April 21, 2016
- Food and Wine: Roy Yamaguchi’s Pacific Inspired Wine Pairing Dinner April 20th - April 18, 2016
- A Spicy Shrimp Ravioli Recipe by Food Network Chef Eric Levine - April 13, 2016
- Shake It Up: 5 Easy Beer Cocktails for National Beer Day - April 6, 2016
- 10 Earth Friendly Cleaning Tips for a Green Home - March 26, 2016
- From Bunnies to Peeps, Chicks, and Chocolate Eggs: Our Top 5 Easter Treats for Spring - March 24, 2016
- Easy Chocolate Cake Recipe With Nutella Frosting - March 23, 2016
- 7 Things You Can Do This Week to Become a Fat-Burning Machine - March 21, 2016
- Stuffed Turkey Meatloaf With Greens and Mozzarella - March 14, 2016