Lillian Jankelson was a wonderful woman, an interior designer, an inspirational teacher, and a mentor to me when I was first learning about interior design. Lillian taught me about restraint, which is a very difficult thing to teach. Like my father, who had great style, and my mother, who had great taste, Lillian knew when enough was just enough. She said it was instinct.
This steak recipe has the balance that Lillian understood. It’s unique and proves that Porterhouse or T-bone steaks don’t always have to be grilled to be good.
Lillian’s Baked Steak
- 1 2 1⁄2-inch-thick T-bone or Porterhouse steak (about 3 pounds)
- 1 lemon, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced into 1⁄4-inch-thick rings
- 1 large onion, sliced into 1⁄4-inch-thick rings
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Place the steak in a glass baking dish large enough to comfortably hold it. Arrange alternating slices of lemon, bell pepper, and onion over the meat. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup and Worcestershire. Pour the mixture over the meat. Bake until an instant-read thermometer reads 140°F for medium rare, 45 to 55 minutes.
3. To serve the steak, let it rest about 15 minutes before you carve it. Carefully move the lemon, pepper, and onion slices to one side. Slice the meat and garnish with the vegetables.
With permission from Hampton Weekends: Easy Menus for Casual Entertaining All Year Round, by Ellen Wright
- The Perfect Spring Time Soup: Cream of Broccoli With Lemon - March 22, 2017
- From Bunnies to Peeps, Chicks, and Chocolate Eggs: Our Top 5 Easter Treats for Spring - March 22, 2017
- Taste the Rainbow with Spring Cocktails from New York City’s Finest Bartenders - March 8, 2017
- Deviled ‘Spring’ Eggs by Chef David Vandenabeele - March 2, 2017
- How to Drink $1200: The Billionaire Margarita - February 21, 2017
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Margarita Recipe: Pairing Chocolate with Tequila - February 20, 2017
- Game Day Burgers: Vegetarian Portobello Mini Sliders - January 16, 2017
- Getting Healthy: Top 5 Ways To Use Kombucha for Stress Relief - January 11, 2017
- How to Cook Octopus: Local 92’s Spanish Octopus With Spaghetti Squash and Leek Emulsion - January 11, 2017
- 7 Anti-Aging Secrets for the Perfect Party Face - January 10, 2017