Lillian Jankelson was a wonderful woman, an interior designer, an inspirational teacher, and a mentor to me when I was first learning about interior design. Lillian taught me about restraint, which is a very difficult thing to teach. Like my father, who had great style, and my mother, who had great taste, Lillian knew when enough was just enough. She said it was instinct.
This steak recipe has the balance that Lillian understood. It’s unique and proves that Porterhouse or T-bone steaks don’t always have to be grilled to be good.
Lillian’s Baked Steak
- 1 2 1⁄2-inch-thick T-bone or Porterhouse steak (about 3 pounds)
- 1 lemon, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced into 1⁄4-inch-thick rings
- 1 large onion, sliced into 1⁄4-inch-thick rings
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Place the steak in a glass baking dish large enough to comfortably hold it. Arrange alternating slices of lemon, bell pepper, and onion over the meat. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup and Worcestershire. Pour the mixture over the meat. Bake until an instant-read thermometer reads 140°F for medium rare, 45 to 55 minutes.
3. To serve the steak, let it rest about 15 minutes before you carve it. Carefully move the lemon, pepper, and onion slices to one side. Slice the meat and garnish with the vegetables.
With permission from Hampton Weekends: Easy Menus for Casual Entertaining All Year Round, by Ellen Wright
- Chef Annette Picha’s Eggnog Creme Brulee - December 7, 2016
- New Spirit Brand Debuts at Festivals of Speed Orlando - November 28, 2016
- Our Favorite Things: Annual Holiday Gift Guide - November 21, 2016
- 7 Anti-Aging Secrets for the Perfect Party Face - November 19, 2016
- Getting Healthy: Top 5 Ways To Use Kombucha for Stress Relief - November 18, 2016
- Suntory Toki Whisky Review – Japanese Blended Whisky - November 18, 2016
- Jacopo Falleni’s Pear Bellini Cocktail Recipe - November 6, 2016
- Coffee, Pumpkin, Apple, and Sage Cocktails for Fall - November 6, 2016
- Drinking ‘Pink’: Soltado Tequila Kicks off ‘Cocktails for a Cause’ - October 17, 2016
- Orlando Wine Events: Christner’s Prime Steak To Host Chateau Ste. Michelle Dinner October 21st - October 12, 2016