Lillian Jankelson was a wonderful woman, an interior designer, an inspirational teacher, and a mentor to me when I was first learning about interior design. Lillian taught me about restraint, which is a very difficult thing to teach. Like my father, who had great style, and my mother, who had great taste, Lillian knew when enough was just enough. She said it was instinct.
This steak recipe has the balance that Lillian understood. It’s unique and proves that Porterhouse or T-bone steaks don’t always have to be grilled to be good.
Lillian’s Baked Steak
- 1 2 1⁄2-inch-thick T-bone or Porterhouse steak (about 3 pounds)
- 1 lemon, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced into 1⁄4-inch-thick rings
- 1 large onion, sliced into 1⁄4-inch-thick rings
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Place the steak in a glass baking dish large enough to comfortably hold it. Arrange alternating slices of lemon, bell pepper, and onion over the meat. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup and Worcestershire. Pour the mixture over the meat. Bake until an instant-read thermometer reads 140°F for medium rare, 45 to 55 minutes.
3. To serve the steak, let it rest about 15 minutes before you carve it. Carefully move the lemon, pepper, and onion slices to one side. Slice the meat and garnish with the vegetables.
With permission from Hampton Weekends: Easy Menus for Casual Entertaining All Year Round, by Ellen Wright
- Gluten Free Fall Cocktails That Will Do More Than Just Keep You Warm! - September 11, 2016
- Salmon, Cucumber & Kale Quinoa Salad with Lemon Dill Tahini Ranch - September 11, 2016
- Spirits Review: Peony Vodka - September 7, 2016
- Wine 101: How to Choose Riesling Wines for Food Pairing - August 29, 2016
- Late Summer Appetizer: Charcuterie With Pickled Pear Crostini - August 27, 2016
- Back To School: Modern Zinc Antimicrobial Sheets - August 24, 2016
- Back to School: Better Sleep with Sonno Bed Mattress - August 24, 2016
- Chef Recipe: Southern Shrimp and Grits Recipe From The River Room - August 12, 2016
- Game Day Burgers: Vegetarian Portobello Mini Sliders - August 3, 2016
- Key West’s Bahama Bob Shares His Favorite Cocktails for National Rum Day - August 1, 2016