If you’re like many folks, an adult version of eggnog is great, but you need a non-alcoholic version that’s also kid friendly. This recipe is inspired by two different versions: Alton Brown’s cooked (or tempered) eggnog recipe, and the coconut eggnog martini at a local Caribbean restaurant.
Kid-Friendly Coconut Eggnog
Crave Local Test Kitchen
- 5 pasteurized egg yolks
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups coconut milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp nutmeg
Whisk egg yolks with sugar until creamy and the sugar begins to dissolve.
Using a hand or stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the sugar and continue to beat until it is fully incorporated, and no longer grainy. Set aside.
In a medium pan over medium-high heat, combine the heavy cream, vanilla, salt, and nutmeg, and bring to a boil, stirring frequently so as to avoid scorching. Remove from the heat and very slowly add the hot milk mixture into the egg + sugar mix. Return everything to the pot, and cook until the mixture reaches approximately 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Add the coconut milk, stir to combine. Remove from the heat, and set in the refrigerator to chill.
For an adult version, see the recipe below.
- 1 oz bourbon or whiskey
- 1 oz Coconut Rum
- 2 ½ oz coconut eggnog
Shake all ingredients well with ice, strain into a martini glass and sprinkle with nutmeg.
For Alton Brown’s original recipe, see FoodNetwork.com.
- The Perfect Spring Time Soup: Cream of Broccoli With Lemon - March 22, 2017
- From Bunnies to Peeps, Chicks, and Chocolate Eggs: Our Top 5 Easter Treats for Spring - March 22, 2017
- Taste the Rainbow with Spring Cocktails from New York City’s Finest Bartenders - March 8, 2017
- Deviled ‘Spring’ Eggs by Chef David Vandenabeele - March 2, 2017
- How to Drink $1200: The Billionaire Margarita - February 21, 2017
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Margarita Recipe: Pairing Chocolate with Tequila - February 20, 2017
- Game Day Burgers: Vegetarian Portobello Mini Sliders - January 16, 2017
- Getting Healthy: Top 5 Ways To Use Kombucha for Stress Relief - January 11, 2017
- How to Cook Octopus: Local 92’s Spanish Octopus With Spaghetti Squash and Leek Emulsion - January 11, 2017
- 7 Anti-Aging Secrets for the Perfect Party Face - January 10, 2017