As you make plans for a long, holiday weekend, what comes to mind that’s better than a slice of ice cold watermelon?
How about a watermelon cocktail? Or better yet, why not a watermelon keg? Here’s how to do it:
Watermelons make summer delicious. From drinks to desserts or just eating on their own, watermelons are tasty and the perfect summertime treat. People carve watermelons, and soak them with liquor, and now behold the watermelon keg!
Just thinking about the many possibilities of a watermelon keg makes my mouth water. Make a watermelon keg with for your next summer party.
- 1 medium-large oval or oblong watermelon (seeded or seedless)
- Kitchen knife
- Cutting board
- Green dry erase marker or ¾”-1” thick painter’s trim tape
- Channel knife (can use top of a vegetable peeler as alternative)
- Large bowl & spoon or scoop
- Apple corer
- Spigot (from beer making supply company)
- Twine & straight pins
- Watermelon cocktail or alcohol-free punch recipe
Wash the watermelon under cool running water and pat dry.
On a cutting board, place the watermelon on its side and cut off 1/4”-1/2” from both ends, being careful not to cut too deep into the white part of the rind. One side will provide a sturdy base.
Use dry erase marker or painters tape to make a thick band on the upper 1/3 and lower third of the watermelon that will represent the metal bands around a barrel or keg and use the channel knife to trim away a thin line to represent those metal bands.
Hollow out the watermelon with a spoon or scoop, reserving the watermelon pieces to make your favorite punch or juice. Be sure to leave about 2” of watermelon flesh towards the bottom of the watermelon so the spigot can be placed.
Use an apple corer to cut a circle for your spigot to fit through the watermelon rind, placing it about 2-3 inches above the bottom of the watermelon. Screw your spigot into place.
For added detail, carefully pin twine in your lines you’ve made to represent the metal bands around the barrel/keg. Be careful that the pins do not poke through into the barrel/keg.
Place the barrel/keg on a saucer or plate and fill with your favorite chilled punch, booze or juice recipe.
Need a crowd-pleasing punch recipe?
Watermelon Margarita Recipe
courtesy, Crave Local Media Network
Ingredients per serving:
- 4 oz Corzo tequila
- 3 oz Ferrand Dry Orange Curacao
- 3 oz Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
- 20 oz fresh watermelon juice
- 2 oz Pom Wonderful Pomegranate Juice
- 2 oz fresh lime juice
- watermelon cubes for garnish
- mint leaves for garnish
- Pour the ingredients into a prepared watermelon keg.
- Stir well.
- Chill in the frig for at least an hour or two.
- Dispense through the watermelon ‘keg’.
- Strain the mixture into acrylic goblets or high ball glassed over ice.
- Garnish with cubes of watermelon on cocktail picks or use lime wedges and mint leaves perched on the glass rim.
Want to turn this into a mocktail? Just replace the liquor with lemon-lime soda and a little marachino cherry juice!
Please drink responsibly.