It’s almost officially summer, and even sans air conditioner, I’m excited. Peaches are my favorite summer fruit, and I may still be a bit early, but I’ll make up for it with enthusiasm. This season has already seen a few peach cakes, and it’s only technically a few days in. Now my favorite fruit, and stone fruits in general, also happens to go with my favorite herb, basil.
I started a tiny garden on my porch earlier in the spring, largely because I’m too lazy to go digging in the yard. When I say tiny, I mean: 2 organic kale plants, one basil plant that just won’t quit. I’ve tested its endurance, making pesto multiple times, and even throwing it into said peach cakes, but the little sucker remains resilient. It taunts me with its siren song of delicious herbaceous additions in the least expected of places.
‘Basil in a smoothie?’ You may ask. Be strong, it’s amazing. For this smoothie, I use unsweetened almond milk (or your favorite non-dairy will work) because I like to control the sweetness. In a pinch, use what you have, just be ready to dial back your agave.
Peach Melba Basil Summer Smoothie
- 2 Peaches, sliced and frozen for at least 2 hours
- 1 Fistful fresh raspberries (about 7-10, freeze them with your peaches)
- 2 Cups unsweetened non-dairy milk of choice
- 5 Leaves fresh basil (or more to your taste)
- 1-2 Tblsp Agave nectar (also more to taste)
Whiz the above in your favorite blender. Raspberries are seedy little sea-dogs, so blend for longer than you think to ensure a smooth consistency. That’s all there is to it! Break out the flip flops, take a glass to your porch, sit in the breezy sunshine, and drink the season in.
- Double Wides: a Junk Food Cookie for Everything You’re Craving - July 18, 2016
- Summer Sweet Treats: Vegan Coffee Ice Cream Recipe - May 27, 2016
- A Fresh Peach Melba Basil Summer Smoothie - May 12, 2016
- Game Day Last Minute Easy One Bowl Peanut Butter Cookies - January 10, 2016
- Vegetable Main for Thanksgiving: Squash Puff Pastry Pie - November 22, 2015
- Kale: It Means ‘Hope’ In My Language. Oh Wait, It Means Salad. - July 28, 2015
- Sunday Breakfast Ideas – The Art of Gluten Free Pancakes - March 3, 2014
- Things You Must Eat: Vegan Bourbon Pumpkin Pie Bars - November 25, 2013
- Walk to Your Own Beet: a Natural Twist on Old Fashioned Red Velvet Cupcakes - November 18, 2013
- Hail Merry, Queen of Tarts! Delicious, Crave-Worthy Vegan Desserts - November 10, 2013