Tequila and tonic is not the norm for combinations, mainly because both are sweet. When combined, the flavor can be cloying, and unpleasant. When we were recently sent a small sample of Patron Silver Tequila, along with single bottle of Q Drinks Tonic Water, we noticed something different. This particular tonic water is very low in sugar, sweetened with agave, and free from that sticky, icky taste that high fructose corn syrup tends to leave on the palate. It was clean, refreshing, and bitter. By itself, good, but when combined with the tequila, every note of pepper and sweet, earthy agave was heightened just a bit more.
The combination made us think: sweet, sour, bitter, and still refreshing…what else tastes like this? Pomegranate! The addition resulted in the following cocktail. Make it, drink with a friend, and enjoy.
The Pomegranate Tonic
- 1/2 of a large pomegranate, seeds removed (can also use 2 oz of POM Wonderful pomegranate juice)
- 3 ounces tequila
- 1 tbs fresh lime juice (important-bottled is more bitter, and you don’t need that in this cocktail)
- 5 ounces Q tonic water
- crushed or cracked ice
- additional pomegranate seeds (arils) for glass
- Garnish: lime slices and/or mint
Muddle pomegranate seeds, lime juice. Add tequila and ice, shake for for one minute. Add additional pomegranate seeds and juice+tequila mixture into bottom of two Collins glasses; fill with ice, and pour the tonic water over the top. Stir gently to combine.
Garnish with a lime slice or mint leaf.
- It’s Pool Season: Miami Cocktails Launches New RTD Line For Summer - May 18, 2016
- Getting Healthy: Blueberry Almond Smoothie - May 12, 2016
- Sweet and Spicy – Margarita Pairing for Cinco De Mayo - May 2, 2016
- Mexican Sopes Recipe – Fried Corn Cakes - May 2, 2016
- Chef Barret Beyer’s Tequila Flamed Tiger Shrimp Bruschetta - April 29, 2016
- Earth Day Gift Guide: 10 Ways to Reduce Your Carbon Footprint - April 21, 2016
- Earth Month Recipe: Hand Made Green Ravioli - April 21, 2016
- Food and Wine: Roy Yamaguchi’s Pacific Inspired Wine Pairing Dinner April 20th - April 18, 2016
- A Spicy Shrimp Ravioli Recipe by Food Network Chef Eric Levine - April 13, 2016
- Shake It Up: 5 Easy Beer Cocktails for National Beer Day - April 6, 2016