Tequila and tonic is not the norm for combinations, mainly because both are sweet. When combined, the flavor can be cloying, and unpleasant. When we were recently sent a small sample of Patron Silver Tequila, along with single bottle of Q Drinks Tonic Water, we noticed something different. This particular tonic water is very low in sugar, sweetened with agave, and free from that sticky, icky taste that high fructose corn syrup tends to leave on the palate. It was clean, refreshing, and bitter. By itself, good, but when combined with the tequila, every note of pepper and sweet, earthy agave was heightened just a bit more.
The combination made us think: sweet, sour, bitter, and still refreshing…what else tastes like this? Pomegranate! The addition resulted in the following cocktail. Make it, drink with a friend, and enjoy.
The Pomegranate Tonic
- 1/2 of a large pomegranate, seeds removed (can also use 2 oz of POM Wonderful pomegranate juice)
- 3 ounces tequila
- 1 tbs fresh lime juice (important-bottled is more bitter, and you don’t need that in this cocktail)
- 5 ounces Q tonic water
- crushed or cracked ice
- additional pomegranate seeds (arils) for glass
- Garnish: lime slices and/or mint
Muddle pomegranate seeds, lime juice. Add tequila and ice, shake for for one minute. Add additional pomegranate seeds and juice+tequila mixture into bottom of two Collins glasses; fill with ice, and pour the tonic water over the top. Stir gently to combine.
Garnish with a lime slice or mint leaf.
- Game Day Burgers: Vegetarian Portobello Mini Sliders - January 16, 2017
- Getting Healthy: Top 5 Ways To Use Kombucha for Stress Relief - January 11, 2017
- How to Cook Octopus: Local 92’s Spanish Octopus With Spaghetti Squash and Leek Emulsion - January 11, 2017
- 7 Anti-Aging Secrets for the Perfect Party Face - January 10, 2017
- Wine 101: How to Choose Riesling Wines for Food Pairing - January 9, 2017
- Kid Friendly Coconut Eggnog Recipe (And One For Adults) - December 20, 2016
- Holiday Gift Guide: Crave Local’s Best Wines of The Year - December 19, 2016
- 5 Pumpkin Cocktail Recipes To Enjoy All Winter Long - December 14, 2016
- Chef Recipes: Winter Pumpkin Soup - December 13, 2016
- Classic Cocktails With a Twist: Eggnog Three Ways for National Eggnog Day - December 10, 2016