Tequila and tonic is not the norm for combinations, mainly because both are sweet. When combined, the flavor can be cloying, and unpleasant. When we were recently sent a small sample of Patron Silver Tequila, along with single bottle of Q Drinks Tonic Water, we noticed something different. This particular tonic water is very low in sugar, sweetened with agave, and free from that sticky, icky taste that high fructose corn syrup tends to leave on the palate. It was clean, refreshing, and bitter. By itself, good, but when combined with the tequila, every note of pepper and sweet, earthy agave was heightened just a bit more.
The combination made us think: sweet, sour, bitter, and still refreshing…what else tastes like this? Pomegranate! The addition resulted in the following cocktail. Make it, drink with a friend, and enjoy.
The Pomegranate Tonic
- 1/2 of a large pomegranate, seeds removed (can also use 2 oz of POM Wonderful pomegranate juice)
- 3 ounces tequila
- 1 tbs fresh lime juice (important-bottled is more bitter, and you don’t need that in this cocktail)
- 5 ounces Q tonic water
- crushed or cracked ice
- additional pomegranate seeds (arils) for glass
- Garnish: lime slices and/or mint
Muddle pomegranate seeds, lime juice. Add tequila and ice, shake for for one minute. Add additional pomegranate seeds and juice+tequila mixture into bottom of two Collins glasses; fill with ice, and pour the tonic water over the top. Stir gently to combine.
Garnish with a lime slice or mint leaf.
- Class Up Game Day With Barbecue Friendly Wines - February 5, 2016
- 30 Minute Meals: Beer Braised Barbecue Chicken Sliders - February 3, 2016
- Blackberry Chipotle Red Wine Barbecue Sauce - February 3, 2016
- Mozzarella Stuffed Turkey Mini Meatball Sliders - February 3, 2016
- Grilled Fingerlings With Cabernet Ketchup By Winemaker Tom Gore - February 3, 2016
- Wine Review: Tom Gore 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon, California - February 3, 2016
- Wine Review: Joseph Phelps Scheurebe 2012, St. Helena - February 3, 2016
- Pigskin and Punch: Party Sized Cocktails for the Big Game - February 3, 2016
- 5 Romantic Cocktails From The World’s Best Hotel Bars - January 24, 2016
- Simple Soup Recipes: Annabel Langbein’s Split Pea and Ham Soup - January 22, 2016