This past week at Tales of the Cocktail in New Orleans, Miami’s Robert Montero of Yardbird Southern Table & Bar, won the Marie Brizard Cocktail Challenge with his cocktail, “Sunny Crusta.”
Robert received a cash prize of $1,000 and a complimentary trip to represent the U.S. this November in the 30th annual Marie Brizard International Bartender Seminar and Competition in Bordeaux, France where he will be competing against top mixologists and bartenders from across the world who will all be preparing their original Marie Brizard cocktail to be sampled and judged by an expert panel.
The Marie Brizard USA Cocktail Challenge Finals consisted of 6 contestants judged on technique, appearance, aroma and taste battling for the coveted spot to represent the U.S. in the 30th annual Marie Brizard International Bartender Seminar and Competition this November in Bordeaux, France.
U.S. CHAMPION: “Sunny Crusta” (Robert Montero, Miami- Yardbird Southern Table & Bar)
½ oz Marie Brizard Orange Curaçao
¾ oz Marie Brizard Blackberry
1 ½ oz Tequila Ocho Blanco
¾ oz Grapefruit Juice
½ oz Lime juice
¼ oz Agave Syrup
Directions: Shake ingredients together and strain into a sugar-rimmed wine glass. Garnish with a grapefruit peel and 3 Filthy Black Cherries.
RUNNER-UP: The “Made” Cocktail (James Menite, NYC- Crown)
1 oz Marie Brizard Anisette
½ oz Cynar
½ oz Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
½ oz Italian Espresso
½ oz Egg white infused with coffee beans
Directions: Mix ingredients together and pour into standard coupe. Garnish with star anise, Italian honey and shaved Meyer lemon.
Chris Marty – The Point, Chicago
“Me No Laugh”
¾ oz. Marie Brizard Orange
1 ½ oz. Arran 10 year Single Malt Scotch
¾ oz. Gabriel Boudier Marasquino
¼ oz. Cruzan Black Strap Rum
1 dash Jerry Thomas’ Own Decanter Bitters
Directions: Add ice to mixing glass and stir ingredients together. Strain cocktail into chilled coupe. Garnish with one slice of 3 month-aged Manchego cheese, rind-on, and one slice of Extra-Aged (minimum 1 year) Gouda cheese, rind-on. Notch cheese slices opposite rind.
Joe Alessandroni – Local Edition, San Francisco
“La Flama Blanca”
¾ oz Marie Brizard Chocolat Royal Liqueur
½ oz. Marie Brizard Essence Spicy Mix
¼ oz. Marie Brizard Essence Cannelle
1 ½ oz. Ron Zacapa 23yr Rum
¼ oz. Smith and Cross Rum
1 oz. Organic coconut milk
Directions: Shake ingredients and double strain into cocktail glass. Garnish with a cayenne/cinnamon marshmallow. Brûlée the marshmallow with a torch.
Emilio Tiburcio – The Light Group, Las Vegas
½ oz. Marie Brizard Liqueur de Cassis
½ oz. Marie Brizard Essence Thé
1 ½ oz. Leblon cachaca
1 oz. Fresh lime juice
1 oz. Homemade ginger infused simple syrup
Mango air foam
Directions: Stir ingredients together and pour into high ball glass. Garnish with a wild Hibiscus flower soaked in rose water syrup and small mango ball inside of the flower.
Jon Parsons – Sam’s, Boston
½ oz Marie Brizard White Cacao
½ oz. Marie Brizard Essence Jasmine
2 oz. Bourbon
1 oz. Abita Turbodog Ale
Directions: Shake ingredients together and strain into martini glass. Garnish with cayenne pepper and jasmine flower.
- Laura McMillian, Managing Director – Museum of the American Cocktail
- David Ransom, Journalist – The Tasting Panel
- Yuri Kato, Beverage Alcohol Consultant – Publisher of Cocktail Times
- Max Solano, Master Mixologist – Las Vegas
- Tricia Alley, Director of Mixology – Southern California – Southern Wine and Spirits
- Paulo Desousa, Secretary – USBG, New York Chapter
About Marie Brizard
Marie Brizard Liqueurs, created in Bordeaux, a world renowned region for its tradition of quality wines, is one of the world’s most venerable producers of liqueurs and drinks crafted from plants, fruits and spices. Founded in 1755, Marie Brizard made its name with its signature aniseed liqueur, later to become the Marie Brizard Anisette. Marie Brizard includes a wide range of cocktail-based liqueurs, spirits, and syrups. The Marie Brizard brand of liqueurs has an unrivaled reputation throughout the world. For more information, visit us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/MarieBrizardUSA
About Imperial Brands, Inc.
Imperial Brands, Inc. is an importer and marketer of distinctive spirits, most notably, the record breaking Sobieski Vodka. Headquartered in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., it is a U.S. subsidiary of Belvédère S.A., one of Europe’s largest producers and distributors of white spirits and wines. Belvédère S.A. operates production and distribution units in Poland, France, United States, and other countries and additionally owns subsidiaries in Europe and South America. For more information, please visit www.ibrandsinc.com.
- Watermelon Keg For The Perfect Summer Party Experience! - May 2, 2016
- Perfect Brunch Wines for Your Easter Weekend - March 23, 2016
- Easy Appetizers: Spicy Queso Fundido Recipe - February 2, 2016
- Alternatives to Tempurpedic: Leesa Mattress Review - January 22, 2016
- Getting Healthy Series: A Green Juice Recipe You’ll Actually Drink - January 12, 2016
- 10 Ways to Use Coconut Oil For Skin Care - December 8, 2015
- Crispy Coconut Chicken Fingers Recipe Even Your Kids Will Love - December 8, 2015
- The Best Gingerbread Cookie Recipe You’ll Ever Make - December 4, 2015
- The Perfect Cherry Vanilla Cheesecake - November 24, 2015
- Editor’s Picks: Sustainable Wines for Fall Entertaining - September 21, 2015