Matt’s In the Market is bringing back its popular “Planes, Trains, and Traveling Chefs” dinner series for a second summer, inviting some of the hottest chefs in the U.S. to cook alongside Executive Chef Shane Ryan. Each dinner is six courses with Chef Ryan and the guest chef alternating each course and collaborating on one.
Planes, Trains, and Traveling Chefs will kick off Monday, June 10, 2013 with Kevin Nashan, of St. Louis’ Sidney Street Cafe. Prior to taking over at Sidney Street, the 2013 James Beard Award semifinalist for Best Chef Midwest manned the kitchens of some of the world’s most prestigious restaurants including Commander’s Palace, Le Français, Restaurant Daniel, Martín Berasategui, and the legendary elBulli in Spain.
Additional participating chefs include:
- June 24: Dale Talde (TALDE – New York City) – In addition to making a name for himself in the kitchen of his namesake Brooklyn restaurant, Talde gained notoriety as a contestant on season 4 of Bravo’s “Top Chef.”
- July 8: Rob Newton (Seersucker – New York City) – Newton is credited with bringing the authentic, rustic flavors of his native Arkansas to New York. The New York Times called Seersucker “urbane, soft spoken and modern, the kind of place where actual residents of Chapel Hill, Nashville or Birmingham might go on a Saturday night.”
- July 22: Gabriel Rucker (Le Pigeon; Little Bird – Portland) – Coming from a big win at the 2013 James Beard Awards as Best Chef – Northwest, Rucker returns to Planes, Trains, and Traveling Chefs for a second consecutive year. Other accolades include winning the 2011 James Beard “Rising Star Chef of the Year” Award – he was the first Oregon chef to do so.
- August 5: Jamie Malone (Sea Change – Minneapolis) – Recently named Food & Wine magazine’s “Best New Chef” for 2013, Malone has been noted for running “one of the country’s best sustainable seafood restaurants.” Regarding her approach to seafood, Malone told Food & Wine, “I’d ordered an ahi tuna [for the restaurant], and it missed its flight.” [The fish she serves isn’t] “just a commodity that you can go and get at the store. Each fish is special, and if he misses his flight, we don’t get to have that fish.”
- August 19: Jenn Louis (Lincoln; Sunshine – Portland) – A Food & Wine magazine “Best New Chef” for 2012, Louis is known for scrumptious takes on unpretentious food, like baked eggs and fried chicken with waffles. She has been also been featured in the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal’s “Slow Food Fast.”
Said Matt’s In the Market Owner Dan Bugge, “When we introduced Planes, Trains and Traveling Chefs last year, we knew we had a great idea, but it absolutely exceeded even our wildest ambitions. ” I was celebrating my fifth anniversary at the restaurant and we were unveiling a new kitchen. Now, with Chef Shane at the helm, we have yet another reason to celebrate and we get to do it with some of the best culinary talent in America.”
PLANES, TRAINS & TRAVELING CHEFS – First Dinner featuring Chef Kevin Nashan
WHEN: Monday, June 10, 6:00pm
WHERE: Matt’s In the Market, 94 Pike St, Seattle, WA 98101
WHO: Shane Ryan, Matt’s in the Market with Kevin Nashan, Sydney Street Cafe, St. Louis
DETAILS: Six–course dinner paired with wines. Each chef alternating courses with one collaborating dish.
- $175 per person (excluding tax and tip)
- $150 per person, per dinner with purchase of a six dinner series package
- $150 per person for food/hospitality industry
RESERVATIONS: By phone only. 206-467-7909
Credit: Matt’s In the Market.
- Pumpkins Take Over at the 9th Great Pumpkin Beer Festival - October 1, 2013
- The Trophy Cupcakes Book Launch Party Brings On The Cupcakes - September 27, 2013
- Taste Local Cheeses at the Washington Artisan Cheesemakers Festival - September 23, 2013
- Join Slow Food Whidbey Island for Taste of Whidbey 2013 - September 20, 2013
- The Bellevue Collection Fashion Week Returns, Revealing Fall Trends for 2013 - September 3, 2013
- Wild Ginger Brings Asian Flair to Labor Day Weekend - August 21, 2013
- Apples to Ale: Yakima Valley’s Festive Fall Events - August 20, 2013
- Kickstarter of the Week: Genki-Su’s Japanese Tart Tonic - August 19, 2013
- The Northwest Tequila Fest Brings the Tequila to Fremont - August 14, 2013
- Take Bainbridge Island by Bicycle at Vidi, Vino, Bici - August 13, 2013